Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Kids

I see that Holden cannot decide whether adulthood or childhood is more appealing, and we see this theme play out like a complicated piece of music through chapters 9-11. If I have any comments, I would immediately lean towards immaturity, as he bounces around women. First the blond at the bar, then he discusses Jane Gallagher in great detail. He comments on the blond being "phony", when he himself uses fake aliases and lies constantly to friendly acquaintances.
However, he displays adulthood in this chapter by judging the blond woman.
Yes, judging.
I believe adults judge people more frequently as they mature, but they learn not to voice it.
This is displayed in these chapters.

Now, a poem. I shouldn't go a post without a poem, but I have. Sorry, guys.

Kids

See now you tell me
Now you reveal
That my concert khakis
Cant be teal
And my novels cant be written in class
And I can't do anything but simply pass
The candy, toy, the ice cream shop
Yes the pretend days
The flimsy tales
Are nothing but history
With my trials and fails
But history seems to repeat itself
Even though my toys gather dust on the shelf
The ghosts of my past
They devour my dreams
But I must swallow the blood
I must swallow the screams
Put on a tie
Put on a suit
Staple my papers
Polish my flute
So much work!
So much it hurts!
But no, here
I must move on
I can't become Holden
A man made of cons

No comments:

Post a Comment